UPDATE: SIGNUP FOR HOTEL ACCOMMEDATION AND TICKETS IS NOW CLOSEDSign up
Bastard Café invites you to
SPIEL 2016 - The world's biggest trade fair for board games.
Register here for our trip.
- Once you have completed the registration you will receive a confirmation email with all your info and payment info.
- Then transfer the amount to our account number: 3409-3409201857
- Write “[your name]+SPIEL16” on the transfer
We must have received your signup AND payment no later than 1 August 2016 or your booking is cancelled.
After a while we run out of hotel accommodation spaces. So sign up today rather than tomorrow.
Note that your booking is 100% binding, so you can only get a refund should we be able to find a replacement.
If we run out of accommodation you can also get on our waiting list by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then if someone cancels their room, you will be contacted.
- What about transport?: As people come from everywhere in the country, we have decided not to organize a joint transport to Essen. If you arrive by plane you must book to Dusseldorf and from here there is a train that runs to Essen Hbf (it’s a short ride and not that expensive).
- It's possible to coordinate and get input on cheap travel via our Facebook event. If you find cheap flights, please share them.
- If you would like to travel with other Bastards, "the official Bastard departure which the majority of the people take" is:
- CPH -> DUS (AirBerlin): Wed. Oct 12 - 2016 departure 11:10
- DUS -> CPH (AirBerlin): Sun. Oct. 16 - 2016 departure 21:05
- The Bastard tour to Essen is NOT a carefully planned scouting trip where we all go hand in hand together. Bastard Café is (apart from being a place where you can play games), also a loosely connected community of people with the same passion for board games - we might create the framework, but you create the experiences. This tour is similarly organized. This means that you can select what you wish to participate in, and nobody expects that you must participate in all common meals, or that we should go together (this is also impossible at the fair). Choose what you like and go with the flow.
- The SPIEL 2016 fair opens on Thursday the 13 October and closes on Sunday 16 October. We have made it possible to get there already on Tuesday and go home on Monday. Traditionally, the vast majority of Bastards will arrive on Wednesday and go home on Sunday.
- There is a sign-up fee of 150 DKK if you are a member of Bastard café, or 300 DKK if you are not. In the registration, you can choose to join the Bastard Café if you are not already a member (one year membership costs 150 DKK and provides various advantages which are detailed in our homepage). If you choose to become a new member you will receive your Bastard Café membership card upon arrival at the hotel (if you want/need it earlier, mail email@example.com).
- Hotel is "Holiday Inn Express Essen - City Center" and accommodation costs 395 DKK (bed in double room) or 790 DKK (bed in single room) per person per night.
- The hotel does not itself distinguish between double or single rooms (and thus all the rooms at the hotel are in reality rooms with a capacity of two people). We however acknowledge that some of you require a single room, so this option is available in this signup. It means that you get the whole room for yourself, but at the cost of paying the full rate for the room.
- You can choose to arrive and leave any time between Tuesday 11 Oct. and Monday 17 Oct. but if you travel alone at “odd days” (arriving Friday and/or leaving Saturday or similar), we might have to bump you up to single room if unable to match you up with others arriving/leaving at the same time. If this happens, you will be contacted first of course.
- Please note if you would like twin beds or a double bed and write it in the comments if you want to share the room with a particular person.
- A breakfast buffet and free wifi is included in the ticket.
- “The Bastard Dinner”: Saturday evening you have the opportunity to participate in our large Bastard Dinner which will take place at restaurant “Mongos” in Essen since they have a super mongolian barbecue buffet and can provide good quality foods and speedy service at the same time...and it’s just next to where we live. It will be epic. Select this if you want to participate, so we know about how many seats we have to reserve (food and drinks are paid for seperately).
- "The Bastard SMS News Service" (30 DKK): Sign up for updates with news, events, good "finds" at the fair and other info we find relevant.
- The Pap Van (125 DKK): If you buy an awful lot of games, it may be difficult to have them all in your flight luggage. Luckily, we have a solution if you live in Copenhagen. We drive a big van down there that you can fill with your purchased games. The van will then return to Copenhagen with all your board games, which you can pick up at Bastard Café from Tuesday the 18 October. This costs 125 DKK per person using the service (the van needs rent and gasoline to function).
- Messe ticket (240 DKK): If you choose this, you can avoid the queue outside the fair. Do NOT select this option if you are a student, because you can get it even cheaper at the fair itself (remember your student card). The ticket will be handed out at the hotel.
- Ubahn travel card (125 DKK): The easiest way to get from the hotel to the fair is by the U-bahn. There are stations close to the hotel (Berliner Platz) and by the messe. Select "Travel card" if you want us to get you a ticket for this covering all your travels in central Essen from Thursday to Sunday (saving 50%). The ticket will be handed out at the hotel.
All prices incl. Danish VAT and any possible profit from the tour go to buy shitloads of new games for the Bastard Café collection.
Further questions? Send us an email and we will respond as quickly as we can: firstname.lastname@example.orgSign up